Saturday, June 02, 2007

Done and dust it...

I finally completed my trainning. So much as wanting to become a chef. I look forward to introduce beautiful ingredients and cooking techniques to my family and friends. It has been great experience coming to France, well not quite but England :). Attending college itself won't give you that much knowledge as it is more technically done(unless you want to become what i call MANUFACTURED CHEFS then thats fine). I've ventured out in order to extract more food knowledge. I don't mind giving away recipes. I just wonder why is it such a big deal to give away simple recipes. It's funny especially in Brunei, most chefs think they have 'secret recipes'. What alot of rubbish!. As Marco Pierre white said, *You can't have secret recipes unless you have secret ingredients. By taking that into heart, I thought, so what if they have secret recipes, There are millions of dishes to offer. Thats one funny thing about food industry in Brunei. People hardly tells thier 'secret recipes'. Maybe the market is too tight hmm... could be the reason too.
I still believe with dedication and no "hot hot chicken shit" (malay proverb for a person who talks alot but no actions) I can turn my gardener into making good desserts or pastas. Being a chef is big commitment. So dear Bruneian young chefs, dont expect too much respect,dont expect too many breaks, dont expect short working hours. Keep it going and try to produce quality stuffs and that what matters. what I like about being a chef is that the more mistakes you made the more you get to learn. If you think you have been commis chef far too long, fight your way up and venture into another world. Let's show to our people that Bruneian chef are as good as other foreign Chefs! haha.

here are more pictures...

Im addicted to it. Whelks. A dash of cayenne pepper and tabasco sauce and malt vinegar. Orgasmic! Expert says it has hugh in iron. It has sea smell and can be quite rubbery.

Oeuf a'la neige.[OUFS ah lah nehzh]; it's poached meringue. Served with custard and toffee syrup.
Squid linguine with lamb


Marinated Salmon fillet with honey and grain mustard. Pomme puree and beet dressing.

Apfel Streusal. It's German.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear we have our own French chef! Good luck in your journeys and hope you open a restaurant in Brunei so we can enjoy your cooking :)

Chef Pol said...

Good enouragment from you. thanks. You will know if i open my first restaurant oneday. Now I have more food lover on my list. Keep it going and we can share food knowledge and maybe then we will be able to educate our fellow people more about food. Thanks once again.