Thursday, February 15, 2007

Offal with Great Use

I was thinking to how would people back home (Brunei) would preceive me and for whatever kind of labels would be on my head. whether or not I intend to cook classical Bruneian dish remian sceptical to some food bruneian lover. I sat there and thinking what is Bruneian dish really. Suddenly 'soup Ekor' - Oxtail soup came crossed my mind. It wouldnt be much of a local dish but it's common. Rice being the staple food would always be great companion just as anything. I had a little chat with Chef Wright about oxtail dishes. He suggested me that its nice to go with meditaranean twist by using couscous. He also insist me on using apricot for it's sweet and lightly sour flavour.
To add that bruneian twist, well trying to, I found bread fruit from the local market. Believe me, back home in Brunei my dad grow lots of these beautiful fruit. We normally have it deep fry as afternoon high-tea during any weekends. Ithought that would be nice compliment and last. As planned, i thought of using chou-flour puree (cauliflower), but i believe this is all about eating the offal parts with nothing intervene the oxtail slices but the sauce.

slices of Ox-tail

Bread Fruit, It's ripped and changed colour. Fresh ones looks green.

Cut into half, white, soft seed in the middle.

Braised Oxtail, Ratatouille couscous with apricot, Roasted 'SUKUN' bread fruit and garlic & shallot confit.

Sukun [su- kon] ; Malay transalation for sweet bread fruit.

That apricot in the couscous relieve that fats in your mouth. That tangy, citrus flavour is just the perfect combination. I guess it work well with under-ripped manggo too.

Thanks to Chef Wright for his kind wisdom.

No comments: