Friday, May 11, 2007

Day 3

Hello Chef Cooper. I just thought you wanted to know how am I coping. So far it had been great and yesterday I had the chance to learn chocolate tempering. It was not easy. the interesting part was scrapping the temperature checking. Melt it to certain degree temperature and it must be accurate. We did white chocolate slabs for Raspberry milliefuille.
Fantastic! Chocolate tempering

Anyone want wants to become a Chef? You can start peeling the Apples!

I was making Apple Puree. Once cooked, I had to put in a muslin clothes to extract the excess liquid.

Doing my mise en place for Raspberry slab. This was the ingredient making the sponge layer. Whats so interesting about this was that we need to use Raspberry which had been dried and grinded which of course turned into powder.

The Raspberry Powder.

The Oriental Mandarin Hyde Park. It use to be called the Hyde park Hotel. Marco Pierre White got his 3rd michelin Star here.

Some of the afternoon tea desserts we prepared. Raspberry Milliefuille and Baileys Opera.

SCONES! Lots of fats! We made jam rom scratch. It can't go any fresher than that. I was disappointed when I found out Empire Hotel in Brunei uses manufactured Croisant and bread rolls.

This shot was taken from the Foliage with One michelin star to its name.

Cold Kitchen preparing Blueberry souffle' with basil puree, Blueberry jelly, Ice cream and fresh mint crisp.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wawww, michelin. hope u get one someday. :) then when you get interviewed for it, u can say "IT ALL STARTED WITH BLOGING" :P haha. anyway, millefeuile looks good!h

Chef Pol said...

ok this is my 2nd writing, I accidentally deleted. i was just trying to clarify to you the reason i use this blog.

I thought it would be easier for me to show my family back home what im cooking here. Mr brunei resource found me and recommended me to keep up blogging as he thought it was god idea. I found myself in his melting pot lists. so from there people begin to email me and asking stuff abt food.

It was interesting at 1st but it is not what I would do seriously. so from there i thought "baik tah blog bisai bisai, ada orang baca lah" and my girlfriend help me with bits n stuff with the layout n all.

michelin star is like an oscar. You dont get that, not a chance. I can produce michelin food but unfortunately bruneians dont pay expensive food. they like quality thou but just dont appreciate enough.

There r alot of local talented chefs in brunei, i just believe given the chance, they would prosper. Have you ever wonder how many dodgy foreign chefs are there in brunei? a lot of BULL**** :)

so I hope to maybe atleast get people inspired and produce quality food and no cincai, hantam, ajinomoto, cheating sauce from supermarket food produced in thier restaurant hehe.

I will end this blogging soon, once i got back to brunei and get back to work. I know i wont have time for blogging.

we need to educate people more about being a chef. They got to know that chefs dont make money. Tv chefs = yes. It can be wrong when people start thinking of being fame by cooking. I cook to live.

I will be looking for a new restaurant within nest year or the year after. We need to change the industry and promote people to cook properly and no hantam2 and cincai stuff. hopefully people got inspire, then perhaps lots of talented bruneian chefs will come forward and finally we get to cook for our king if not bruneians are fine. hate those dodgy foriegn cari makan chef! they should do better!

p/s: milliefuile taste better than it looks. too bad i didnt try it, it has pig gelatine. I can make one.. just pay me. :p

Sehat said...

Lots of luck in your endeavor and look forward to tasting your creations. And yes, empire uses frozen croissant, even delifrance frozen ones are better